As consumer awareness about cosmetic ingredients grows, more and more companies are recognizing the benefits of organic cosmetics and natural makeup. Entire makeup brands are built on the premise of organic, better-for-you ingredients – even conventional companies are taking note and adding organic offerings to their lineup. This competitive industry is still growing, and there’s space for more unique makeup products that contain natural, responsibly sourced ingredients while providing a variety of colors, long-lasting coverage, and even anti-aging, acne-clearing, or skin-smoothing benefits.
At Daily Manufacturing, we have more than 20 years of experience with contract manufacturing and private labeling services, and our diverse formulations include organic cosmetics and other personal care products.
What Are Natural and Organic Color Cosmetics?
Organic color cosmetics, including lipstick, foundation, eyeshadow, mascara, and more, are those made with organic ingredients. A USDA-certified organic product requires that at least 95 percent of the ingredients are organic, while those containing at least 70 percent organic ingredients can claim to be “made with organic” ingredients.
Natural cosmetics may or may not be organic, but they’re still made with natural ingredients like plants, essential oils, and minerals. While the FDA says “natural” would indicate “…that nothing artificial or synthetic (including all color additives regardless of source) has been included in, or has been added to…” the product, “natural” is still a word that is often misused in both the cosmetics and food industries, because there is no precise definition or regulation surrounding it. When crafting your natural cosmetics, you should consider the implication of the word, and how you want your brand to be known. It may be enough to be strict about your natural ingredient choices, or you may want to ensure your products are both natural and organic.
Many consumers today appreciate a natural or organic product that offers the colors and staying power they look for in conventional makeup.
Benefits of Natural and Organic Color Cosmetics for Consumers
Consumers choose natural and organic color cosmetics for a variety of reasons:
- Ethically Sourced and Environmentally Friendly: Consumers are proud to help support farmers who grow organic ingredients responsibly – products free from chemicals that aren’t good for your skin or the environment.
- Sustainable Packaging: Many organic makeup lines take environmental responsibility to the next level by incorporating it into their product packaging. The natural approach isn’t just for their products: it’s their business in its entirety. This may include recyclable or recycled packaging, reusable jars and boxes, compostable padding, and more.
- Cost-Effective: Many organic cosmetic lines actually cost less than conventional luxury lines. Furthermore, natural products pay off in the long run because they’re safe and effective. Consumers may be able to use smaller quantities of the product to get great results, and are less likely to have a negative reaction to an ingredient.
- Chemical Free: Natural, organic makeup and skincare offer ingredients that are good for your skin and free from chemicals that may have long-term effects on the body.
- Health and Safety: Today’s consumers are aware of the health implications of the choices they make, and that includes what they put on their bodies as well as what they put in their bodies.
Manufacturing Your Natural or Organic Cosmetics Line
Figuring out how to make organic cosmetics is simple when you work with a contract and private-label manufacturer like Daily Manufacturing. With more than 20 years of experience in color cosmetics and personal care products, we’ve worked with many companies to bring their products to life. Our research and development department can help you craft a unique organic formulation in a contract manufacturing partnership, or you can choose from our selection of proven natural and organic formulations in a private-labeling agreement. Either way, we offer a range of value-added services to take your natural and organic cosmetics from the idea stage all the way to the finished product, including co-packing, fulfillment, and more.
Throughout your project, we’ll help you make informed decisions based on our experience and knowledge of this competitive industry. Our goal is to help your product succeed. Contact us to learn more about how to make natural cosmetics and what it means for your brand when you partner with an industry leader like Daily Manufacturing.